Sunday, March 11, 2007

Suicidal Toondencies

Some time ago, like years really, I was working at WB Classics, doing commercials and other stuff. As we looked on the laser disks and tapes for reference material I started to collect printouts of all the characters who put a gun to their head during a cartoon. I enlarged them out and posted them all around my cubicle, along with some drawings of the ones who never did that in a cartoon. I just thought it was funny. One day our producer came over and saw all these and asked me if that's how I felt. I just looked at her and said "yes, all the time!" I don't think she saw the humor in it. But frankly, I didn't care either.

Being the way things are today, you could never show a character contemplating suicide, let alone shooting someone else. Never mind that today's cartoons are totally unfunny, overly politically correct, and have lame ass stories and the writers are the ones that should probably be shot. But I guess children's groups, execs, producers, etc, can't figure out that those were CARTOONS and really, when you think about it, rabbits and ducks that talk, carry guns, and coyotes that always seem to blow themselves up IS FUNNY! Really funny!

But here are just a few I've collected again off the dvds, and a few my friend Frank Gabriel sent me, and a couple drawn by me or others back then. So enjoy.

Itch In Time

Plane Daffy

Rabbit Fire

Scaredy Cat

The Scarlet Pumpernickel

Ballot Box Bunny


Barbary Coast Bunny

For Sentimental Reasons

Here Today, Gone Tamale
The next two I sketched out of Michigan J. Frog & Taz



2 Comments:

At 3/12/2007 8:52 PM, Blogger Julia Lundman said...

haha Kevin.

Lest we also not forget the ever so subtle erection references in cartoons, like in Here Today, Gone Tamale...

 
At 3/12/2007 9:31 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Ah, that's a subject for another post, another day. Yet more research.
More things you can't do these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home